Numbness is a strange feeling. It can be used to protect us in particularly stressful or traumatizing situations or it can seem to happen for no reason. It can make us feel disconnected from the ones around us and, sometimes, make us feel abnormal. Most often, it just makes us feel empty.
Feeling numb can feel very isolating and like no one around you understands. It is important to know that the numb feeling you are having is not unique to you. Many people, especially those who suffer from depression, feel numb and empty. There can be some comfort in knowing you are not the only one experiencing these strange feelings, or lack thereof. To highlight the commonness of feeling numb, here are 10 quotes:
- “Some scars don’t hurt. Some scars are numb. Some scars rid you of the capacity to feel anything ever again” – Joyce Rachelle
This quote highlights that, although you may feel numb, that doesn’t mean you haven’t experienced pain. In most cases, you’ve experienced so much pain you can no longer feel it.
- “Better to feel nothing, to be numb, than to lose control. It’s the only way I know to deal with it.” – Julie Kagawa
Sometimes being numb is a coping mechanism to protect us from feeling too much pain and prevent us from completely losing all control.
- “How nice — to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive” – Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
This quote emphasizes the relief feeling numb can sometimes provide us with. Vonnegut Jr. highlights how living without feeling is, in some cases, a much-needed break from the pain.
- “So to feel something through the numbness, I decided to perpetuate on my soul and hers the equivalent of quenching cigarettes on my paralyzed limbs. My hope was that if I registered pain, it would be welcomed as a sign of life.”
Lack of feeling can sometimes cause us to feel absent from life and we end up yearning for any feeling, even pain. This quote reiterates this idea of trying to feel something just to confirm we are still alive and are still able to feel.
- “There’s much to be said for feeling numb. Time passes more quickly. You eat less, and because numbness encourages laziness, you do fewer things, good or bad, and the world’s probably a better place for it.” – Douglas Coupland
This quote describes how endless living with numbness can feel. This quote also highlights the somewhat confusing nature of feeling numb, like how it can be both bad and good.
- “The body shuts down when it has too much to bear; goes its own way inside, waiting for a better time, leaving you numb and half alive” – Jeanette Winterson
Here is a reason why you may feel numb. Winterson explains that your body simply cannot handle anything more and shuts down your emotions, leaving you numb. This quote views numbness as a coping mechanism.
- “I was as hollow and empty as the spaces between the stars” – Raymond Chandler
This quote illustrates how feeling numb may feel. He paints a picture of what feeling numb and empty may look like – describing the feeling as “hollow” and “the spaces between the stars”.
- “I am nothing. I’m like someone who’s been thrown into the ocean at night, floating all alone. I reach out, but no one is there. I call out, but no one answers. I have no connection to anything” – Haruki Murakami
Feeling numb can be very isolating. This quote describes the loneliness of feeling numb and the lack of connection between yourself and others. Murakami explains how even if you want to reach out, it feels impossible and as if no one is there to help.
- “How do you get so empty? Who takes it out of you?” – Ray Bradbury
This quote shows the struggle to understand why you feel numb. Sometimes it is impossible to pinpoint the cause of the numbness, making it harder to get out of.
- “He was numb except for dreading the loss of numbness” – Thomas Harris
Sometimes numbness operates as a safety blanket. You may dread the loss of that safety blanket because, once it is gone, the pain will return. This quote highlights this feeling of fear towards emotions returning while you feel numb.
These quotes will hopefully provide you with some comfort in knowing you are not alone in these feelings. If you want to start exploring why you are feeling numb and how to regain your feelings, NuView Treatment Centre may be able to help. With a team equipped to deal with your unique circumstances, NuView can help you acknowledge and address these numb feelings and help you move forward. Remember, if you are struggling with feeling numb or empty, you are not alone.